Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Austin Burcham and I am drummer based out of Los Angeles, CA. I have been playing drums since my teenage years and moved to Hollywood, CA in 2008 to attend Musician’s Institute. I graduated from M.I. in 2010 with an Associate of Arts in Drumset Performance and began playing in a variety of bands around LA in genres ranging from rock to jazz to progressive metal.
I am currently focusing most of my efforts on creating content for my YouTube channel where I have a series of lessons called “Study The Greats,” which are advanced drum lessons based off performance examples from some of the best drummers of all time. The channel also has a variety of other videos such as drum covers, recording sessions, product reviews, and gear comparisons.
I also have a website where I offer remote studio drumming via online collaboration, along with personal lessons and pictures of all my drum gear/studio.
What do you use?
Here is an extensive list of all the gear I use on a daily basis…
- Pearl Masterworks Maple (22x16 kick, 10x8 rack tom, 14x12 floor tom, 16x16 floor tom)
- Yamaha Musashi Oak (13x6.5)
- Pearl Session Custom Maple (14x6.5)
- Drumcraft Steel Snare (14x5)
- Pearl Firecracker Steel Snare (12x5)
- Sabian 14” HHX Evolution Hi Hats
- Sabian 21” HHX Groove Ride
- Sabian 16” AAX XPlosion Fast Crash
- Sabian 18” HHX XPlosion Crash
- Paiste 14” Signature Sound Edge Hi Hats stacked with a 10” Signature Splash
- Sabian 16” APX OZone Crash stacked with 10” HHX Evolution Splash
- Wuhan 16” Medium Thin Crash
- Wuhan 18” Medium Thin Crash
- Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal
- Tama HT741 ErgoRider Throne with Backrest
- Currently enjoying the Vic Firth JoJo Mayer Signature Sticks
- Audix ADX51 (overheads)
- Audix D6 (kick drum)
- Audix i5 (snare top)
- Shure SM57 (snare bottom)
- Audix D2 (rack tom)
- Audix D4 (floor toms)
- AKG Perception 200 (room)
- Audio Technica AT899 Lavalier (voice)
- Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 Audio Interface
- Focusrite Octopre MKII Dynamic Preamp
- Focusrite ISA 428 MKII Preamp
- ART Headamp 6 Pro
- ART P16 XLR Patchbay
What would be your dream set up?
That’s a tough one… I am always just thinking about my next upgrade that’s within reason that I can do to improve the quality of my content or my workflow. If I could just get anything I want, well, I guess I would want all these things…
- Apple Mac Pro (12core w/ 6gb graphics card)
- Universal Audio Apollo 16 interface w/ all UA plugins
- Universal Audio 4710D Preamp
- API 3124 Preamp
- Neve Portico 5024 Preamp
- Manley Force Preamp
- Genelec 8351 Monitors
- Sonor SQ2 Custom Drumset or Yamaha Phoenix Kit
- Roland TD30KV Electronic Drumset
- Any Meinl cymbals I want
- Solar powered home studio… with a Tesla P90D sitting in the garage haha